Do I need permits for a shed or accessory building?
Yes, zoning permits are required for all accessory buildings, even pole sheds. The zoning permit will explain the setbacks the accessory building has to meet. Usually the setbacks are 10 feet from all property lines, except for lake lots, corner lots, and large accessory buildings.

Come to our office on the 1st floor of the Building Standards Center at 349 North Center Street to get a zoning permit. We will forward your proposal to the health department to make sure the proposed building will not be constructed on the septic lines or the septic field. After the health department has approved the project, we will call you back to the Building Standards Center to get the building permit.

For more information, visit the Planning Division page.

Show All Answers

1. How do I open a home business?
2. How do I get a septic system site evaluation / permit?
3. Do I need permits for a shed or accessory building?
4. How do I set up a mobile home?
5. How do I get a sign permit?
6. How do I split a lot into 2 lots? Or conversely, how do I combine 2 lots into 1 lot?
7. Can I get my property rezoned?
8. How far off my property line does a fence have to be?
9. How do I get zoning approval for a vehicle dealer's license?
10. When are site plans required?
11. Do commercial or non-residential places have to submit site plans to add accessory buildings?
12. What are some common complaints that the Zoning Code Enforcement Officers resolve?
13. What do I need to do to start a commercial project?